Ecotourism on the Larzac Plateau
Ecotourism on the Larzac Plateau
Get inside the Causse and meet local people
4 days / 4 nights
At the heart of the Natural Regional Park of "Grands Causses", the Larzac Plateau is a special place. Since 2011, it is enlisted in the UNESCO Heritage Sites as the Causses and the Cévennes, Mediterranean agro-pastoral Cultural Landscape. It unveils natural and protected areas where people learnt how to cope with nature. Throughout these holidays, we suggest you to meet local people who chose to live and work over there. Experience agro-pastoral, local productions, the know-how, the heritage and the natural sites. Take your time smoothly!
Accommodated in an old typical farm which was renewed according to the principles of the eco-construction, you will spend your time within an exceptional scenery to appreciate authentic lands. Local tour-leaders will take you throughout visits and strolls either by bike or by foot so that you can experience truly the place and the nature.
- immersion in the heart of the causse du 4 jours
- Accommodation in an old sheepfold entirely restored according to the principles of eco-construction.
- supervised by a local mountain leader and mountain bike guide. Passionate about their region, they will share with you their knowledge of the fauna, flora and geology of the area.
- pleasure of "moving" via soft mobility. The routes and visits are done on foot or by bike (mountain bikes are the most suitable for the profile and surface of the paths used).
- the many meetings and exchanges with local producers and breeders
This trip has been organized through a tight cooperation with the Grand Causses Regional Natural Park committed in the European Charter for Sustainable Tourism.
Languedoc Nature has been awarded the 3rd issue of the European Charter for Sustainable Tourism. This distinction was awarded by the French Section of Europarc and is applicable to the travel operators which are committed into the promotion of sustainable tourism in protected areas.
Guided tour only, a minimum of 4 people is required.
Your fully qualified guides know perfectly well the area, they safely accompany you on the Larzac's trails. They will share their passion for the region and their knowledge about flora, fauna and geology.
This tour is designed according to respect the principles of low impact on the environment. You can either follow the itineraries by mountain bike or by walk. The hikes are quite easy and you are not expected to have a special training.
It is possible to rent electric-powered mountain bikes according to your need.
A rural agro-pastoral area, the Larzac Plateau must be experienced. Thanks to local guides, you will be introduced to this land: fauna, flora, soil, landscapes, built heritage...
We designed routes to let you discover and meet people :
Day 1 : Walking loop 9 km
Day 2 : Walking loop 16 km
Day 3 : Mountain Biking loop 26 km
Throughout these itineraries, you'll discover the diversity of the local productions placed within a quality approach:
- sheep's cheese
- cow's, sheep's and lamb's meat
- aromatic plants
Day 4 : Roqueforts' day, the famous cheese on the Larzac. Visit a farmer raising sheeps, stroll and then visit the artisianal cheese dairy ran by a family.
From May to October
|The service includes|
• Accommodation in gite for groups, hotels or in B&B.
• Breakfasts, packed lunches and dinners.
• The service of fully graduated guides.
• The visits to the local farmers and handicrafts.
|The service doesn't include|
• Personal expenditure
• Comprehensive insurance (4,5%)
• Transport to and from the accommodation.
• The bike rental
We all know the impact of our car travels on the environment. Driving to the holidays location can produce a large amount of CO2 because of the long haul distance to get away...
Therefore, if low impact mobility interests you, Millau station, welcomes you. A bus or our minivan can take you to your accommodation.
Check your journey by train with SNCF or OUIGO and contact us for any further information.We all Nous connaissons tous l'impact environnemental de nos déplacements en voiture.